You are here

Toxic mix of cleaning chemicals leaves one dead

One dead following toxic mix of cleaning chemicals at Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant

The Manager of a Buffalo Wild Wings sports bar and restaurant in Massachusetts, USA, has died after exposure to toxic fumes caused by combined cleaning products.

Burlington’s Interim Fire Chief, Michael Patterson, identified the victim as 32-year-old Ryan Baldera from nearby Lawrence, Massachusetts.

According to the fire department, they responded at 5.36PM to a report of a chemical reaction in the kitchen of the franchised sports bar and restaurant, and firefighters evacuated the building and provided aid to the employee who had fallen ill. Baldera was immediately transported to Lahey Hospital and Medical Center but was sadly pronounced dead shortly after arrival.

It is reported that an employee had been attempting to clean the kitchen floor with a mixture of acid-based cleaner Scale Kleen and chlorine bleach-based agent Super 8. Patterson described the latter as a ‘common product used in floor cleaning’, however the mixture of the two substances created toxic fumes.

When the employee became overwhelmed and had to leave the building, Baldera reportedly attempted to squeegee the chemicals out of the restaurant, but quickly fell ill.

11 other employees as well as two customers were also hospitalised after exposure to the fumes, with symptoms including breathing difficulties and a burning eye sensation. They have all since been released from hospital.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the incident.

IMAGE CREDIT: Buffalo Wild Wings

  • Linked In
  • Pinterest

Read our latest Issue

Products & Services Guide 2021